The mechanism is under development and they are currently soliciting interested parties with the following kinds of public data:
- A table or a CSV file with some data
- A file in a proprietary format that contains data
- A collection of files that together constitute some meaningful dataset
- A structured object with data in some other format that you might want to load into a special tool for processing
- Images capturing the data
- Anything that looks like a dataset to you
In your metadata schema you can use any of the schema.org dataset properties, but it should contain at least the following basic properties: name, description, url, sameAs, version, keywords, variableMeasured, and creator.name. If your dataset is part of a corpus, you can reference it in the includedInDataCatalog property.
There are also properties for download information, temporal coverage, spatial coverage, citations and publications, and provenance and license information.
This is a worthwhile effort to make your research and public datasets more useful to the community.